Thursday, March 3, 2011

"There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."

This is what Thorin told Fili and Kili in The Hobbit, when they were looking for a shelter during a storm. This is what I told myself, when I was looking for blueberries in the freezer. And you know what? It is true, there is nothing like it. But that is not necessarily a good thing.

I don't like looking for things I can't find. Scratch that. I hate looking for things I can't find. It bothers me so very, very much. It is a horrible feeling to me.

I really don't know where I was going with that.

I found the blueberries I was looking for. I was so excited. As much as I hate looking for stuff, the feeling that comes when you finally find it is so glorious. Like the shepherd who rejoices more over the one sheep that was lost and then found than the 99 that he always had.

Kinda like that.

I feel like I am always searching for something. Not blueberries, or an Enya song on youtube, not anything like that. Something. I am a sojourner, not here to stay. But while I am here, I feel like I am looking for something. There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something. This is true. But finding something is wonderful.

I looked up that quote at the beginning to make sure I got it right. I typed most of this post and then I looked at that page again. This is what came after that line:

You certainly usually find something, if you look, but it is not always quite the something you were after.

No comments: