Friday, September 10, 2010

September 11...

It was early in the morning, I was a little kid, asleep in a little room, with my sister, in Altadena, CA, (If you haven't lived there, you don't know where it is.) My mother came and woke us up to see something, something horrible.

It was probably the worst thing I had ever seen, hundreds of people, terrified, wounded, dying. These giant buildings, buildings that I had never even heard of before (My world was, after all, limited to Altadena, Pasadena, L.A, and the mountains.) burning, falling.



We were watching it live. I will always remember the way the screen shook, as the cameraman was running from the mayhem with everyone else there.

I don't really remember what I thought. I wish I did though. But I know what I think now. On that day thousands of my brothers and sisters were brutally murdered. And what of their families? And of their friends? Not just for the fallen do we grieve, but for the millions more who have suffered countless sorrows because of what happened on that wretched day.



I hope that you remember that morning. Or at least the people. Remember them. Weep for them.

3 comments:

Julie said...

If you cut me, I bleed Red White, and Blue,my country over shadows my heritage. But incandescently, September 11 is also the day that the Battle at Sterling Bridge took place, the first battle for Scottish independence. I thought I might just mention that.

Anonymous said...

I was at college that morning. Classes ended up being canceled for the day, and we all sat around TVs and watched...

And the Scottish flag is blue and white, two-thirds of the colors you mentioned...

~ A.K. ~

Julie said...

Thank-you, ~.A.K.~.

And, yeah, I had already thought of that, but lots ans lots of flags are the colors red, white, and blue, or blue and white or red and white, so perhaps that wasn't the best possible phrase I could have used...