Sunday, February 27, 2011

Julius Caesar

The first play in my plan to read all of my Shakespeare books, was Julius Caesar. Party because I already knew basically what happens in it, partly because it is in a small book and was thereby less daunting, and partly just because it was on the top of the stack of Shakespeare books.



It was a bit different than I thought it would be, it was a whole lot less dramatic. But still very moving. It was interesting. Very, very interesting.


Best Character: Brutus. He meant well. He deeply and truly felt like he was doing what was right for Rome. He was, well, the noblest Roman of them all.

Worst Character: Quite honestly, Julius Caesar. He was annoying. He was rude to his loving wife. And he was always talking about how great he was...in third person!!!! I just can't like someone like that.


Rated: PG13, for blood and gore, and disturbing images.

(It really, really, wasn't that bad, but if it was a movie, a very exact movie, it would be PG13.)

In a word: Interesting.

Crowning Moment: It didn't seem to have a climax. But the famous oratories by Mark Antony and Brutus were really very amazing.

Something Awesome: The popular line "It's Greek to me" is from this play. I never would have guessed that. The are Romans, of course, and a man said something in Greek. Brutus and Cassius asked their friend what he said, to which their friend replied "...it was Greek to me."



I was amazed at how easy this famous tragedy was to read. It really wasn't that complicated. It was...beautiful.


3 comments:

Ruth said...

Dude. Cool!

Anonymous said...

I have read this one. One of the best compliments I ever got was being compared to Brutus' wife. (Guess who said that. :) ) I actually didn't care much for the play, but I think I still have most of Antony's speech memorized...

~ A.K. ~

Julie said...

:) Brutus' wife was really great. It's sad that she died. But she was an excellent wife. :) Brutus at one point asked the gods to make him worthy of such a wife. I thought that was the sweetest thing. :)