Sunday, February 27, 2011

A Midsummer Night's Dream


The second play, of 27, that I read, was A Midsummer Night's Dream. I read it once before, but that was many, many years ago. I had forgotten how, well, how silly it was. It has to be about the silliest play in the world, but I like it anyway.




It is a bit confusing the first time around, but once you've figured out who is who, it is quite enjoyable.

My favorite part hast to be at the very end, when all of the couples are watching a play preformed by a group of amateur actors. The actors are so pathetic, they are the funnest bunch of fellows and provide all kinds of awesome humor all through the play.


But the best thing about the play (the play within the play) is the dry and sarcastic remarks made by the audience.



Best Character: It's hard to say, but I think I'd have to go with Puck. He has great lines all through the book. He messed everything up (That was partly Oberon's fault.) and then fixed everything (At Oberon's direction.)




Worst Character: Demetrius. He was a jerk. In the end he was OK. But, well, he was really, really mean to the (stupid) girl (Helena) that liked him. (She was stupid for liking a guy that kept treating her like a dog.)

Rated: PG13, for sexual references, and language. At least, I think it was language...

(It wasn't that bad, I just thought I'd say.)

In a word: Silly

(But in a good way.)

Crowning Moment: When everything all works out. Titania and Oberon make up. Nick Bottom gets turned back into his old self. Lysander and Hermia are back together. And Demetrius is somehow less of a jerk than he was at the beginning.


No comments: