Friday, May 20, 2011

The Merry Wives of Windsor

Well, that was about one of the funniest things I've ever read. The plot, the sub-plot, the characters, all of it, it was absolutely hilarious. It really made me think of British comedy, in that all of the main characters were older and just out to have a good time. It was fun. It was witty, clever, and just fun.

Best Character: Well, the Merry Wives, of course! Mistress Page and Mistress Ford. They were indeed very merry. There merry husbands were good, too. :) And Hugh Evans was great, too. His strong Welsh accent was the source of many a witty line (As Master Fort said to him: "I will never mistrust my wife again, til thou art able to woo her in good English.").

Worst Character: Oh, the French doctor Caius that nobody liked. He was funny, of course, but it was because he was unlikable that made him funny.

In a Word: FUNNY

Rated: PG13

Yeah, like I said, it was a lot like British comedy...

Crowning Moment: Oh, the whole play was absolutely hilarious. (Seriously, I would recommend it.) My two all-time favorite lines, though, are "Heavens defend me from that Welsh fairy, lest he transform me into a piece of cheese!" - John Falstaff when Evans was, among other, dressed as a fairy and being cruel to him. And then, in the best part of the play when they all reveal to Falstaff that they have been pranking him, he says "I do begin to perceive that I am made an ass."

There are many other lines I like, as well, but out of context that would make very little sense. It was a delightfully amusing play.

No comments: