Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Rise Above

Why do we want heroes?

My mother asks this sometimes. I don't know what the one true answer is. But I do have my own ideas.

One reason is that we need heroes (Fact). We do have the one ultimate Savior who died for us. He is the greatest hero that ever lived, for without Him, our lives would be futile and lost. There are other heroes, though. Firefighters and doctors who daily save lives. The men and women who fight and have fought for our safety and freedom. All of these heroes are real, but there are many heroes who are fictional. They too have a purpose.

To inspire us.

At least that is the conclusion I cam to. A hero is someone who is more. Who is more than an ordinary person. Who has gone above and beyond and done what they know they must. A hero may be strong. He uses his strength to help the weak and defenseless. But a hero is not always strong. No, some of the greatest do not have abnormal physical abilities. Their strength comes from the heart. From courage and from love, and that is what drives them onward.

I said their purpose was to inspire us. Inspire us to do what? To be more. To be more than ourselves. To go above and beyond to do what we know we must. To use our strength to help those less fortunate. To be driven onward by courage and love.

I believe that we look up to heroes because they are how we wish we were: more than an ordinary person. I believe that we like heroes because they show us that we can be more.

Heroes, of all kinds, show us the great good that can come from doing whatever is in our power to do to help others. And that, my friend, is why I believe we need heroes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your conclusion(s). :)

~ A.K. ~

Julie said...

Thank you. :)